RunRev compilation (was another "vs" thread)

Stephen Barncard stepheNREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Mon Jan 3 17:51:39 EST 2005

Hey, Richard, I'd give Tom Pittman many kudos for inventing CompilIt!
- sure, it was convoluted concept, but it saved my ass many times in
a working environment. In 1989 I did a lot with text string
manipulation and hex-decimal conversion in software designed to go
through a serial port to some hardware for control.

http://barncard.com/amstudios/htdoc/Pages/welcome_PP.html

  Hypertalk, even the improved versions later was still way too slow.
So I used both Compilit! and Hyperbasic to make XCMDs that really
sped up workflow. Hyperbasic was preferred because they had the
better serial port code, which I had to use in a loop. Interperted
hypertalk was way too slow. But Compilit was great for complex text
manipulation.

I had never heard of the 'unreleased derivative' you speak of... interesting.

The 'funky syntax' you mentioned wasn't that hard - most of it was
optimizing loops and helping the compiler recognize integers (by
adding zero), the rest ran quite automatically. I thought it was
brilliant.

sqb