FTP dates problem

Dave Cragg dcragg at lacscentre.co.uk
Mon Jan 3 16:04:24 EST 2005

On 3 Jan 2005, at 20:12, Ton Cardona wrote:

> When listing directories in my ftp I get, for instance:
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 name name      2531 Aug 15 04:17 AARAR.gz
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 name name     14922 Jul 11 09:55 ACGI.gz
>
> -rw-r--r--   1 name name     2691 Jul 22 03:51 ACHAR.gz
>
> etc.
>
> I get the month, day and time of creation of the file, but not the
> year.
>
> Since we are in 2005, my program understands that the files were
> created after the 3rd of January (today), which is not the case, and
> downloads them.

I think all you can assume in an FTP listing when you have a time and
not a year is that the year is the most recent for that particular
date. For example, if today is Jan 3, 2005, and you have details like
these:

     -rw-r--r--   1 name name     14922 Jul 11 09:55 ACGI.gz

then the year must must be 2004. I.e. the most recent year that Jul 11
falls in.

A quick glance at my local OS X FTP server listings seems to show all
dates back to July 2004 with a time and not a year. Anything before
that has the year instead of the time. So perhaps it uses a 6-month
cut-off. ( I can't locate a file saved in June 2004 to confirm this.)

Cheers
Dave