preOpenCard finishing before preOpenStack?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Sun Jan 2 17:17:44 EST 2005

On Jan 2, 2005, at 7:27 AM, Nicolas Cueto wrote:

> The first object that uses this sent-data is a field on the second
> card.
> However, even after the five or so seconds taken up by the splashcreen
> on
> the first card, that field is opening up empty. Having confirmed that
> the
> globals were in fact loaded,all I can conclude is that the data is
> arriving
> after that second card has already opened.

Note that preOpenCard and openCard are not inserted into
pendingMessages but are called directly as part of the go.

I'm guessing that you have a wait that does not allow messages to time
the splashscreen and then a go to the second card.  This hogs the
execution, so the sockets messages are stuck in the pending messages
until that all finishes.  (I guess that means that I'm also guessing
that you use messages in using sockets.)  That means until after the
open messages for the second card.

One approach is to have the sockets messages explicitly set the field
on the second card by qualifying the field reference with the card.

If that shows a flicker when the second card open, then you might want
to wait with messages for your delay or insert a wait for messages
right after it.  An alternate is to use send in time to transition to
the second card.

All this is based on my wild guesses above.

Dar