News of Shafer eBook Publication Plans

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Thu Feb 24 19:56:27 EST 2005

Dear Fellow Revolution User:

As you know, Runtime Revolution and I have been working for some months
trying to find a conventional publisher to handle the second and third
volumes of my "Software at the Speed of Thought" book series. I
appreciate your patience while we worked on this problem.

The bad news is that we were unable to interest any publisher in the
books. The community is too small at this point. Publishers want to see
upwards of 50,000 users of a product before they show interest in
publishing books about it. While Runtime Revolution certainly plans to
reach that level of penetration in the near future, it doesn't have
those numbers today.

The good news is that we've come up with what I think you'll agree is a
dynamite new publishing plan that more than compensates for the
"missing volumes 2 and 3."

First, I am going to release, over the next nine months, at least 10
new mini-books in electronic form covering many of the topics you were
expecting to see in Volumes 2 and 3, but taking a different, more
topical approach. These eBooks will be offered for sale at prices
ranging from $5 to $10 each. This new approach to publishing was a
pretty hair-brained idea when I started this process almost two years
ago but is now established. That means I'll be publishing deeper
content on a somewhat narrower range of topics.

Second, we're going to revisit Volume 1 of the book, produce a series
of mini-books comprising its content (with corrections, embellishments,
and enhancements), and sell these individually at $5-10 each.

Revolution remains the absolute best development tool I've ever used
and I have every intention of remaining an active and visible member of
the community. I'm co-hosting a developer conference in Monterey, CA,
this summer, and proceeding apace with my writing. More importantly, I
use Revolution every day in the creation of my own products and those
of my select client base.

Thanks again for your patience.

Dan

P.S. If you purchased a membership in Revolution Pros, you will receive
a separate, personal email outlining the specific way we are proposing
to make sure you feel you've been treated fairly, even generously.