Using Firebird?

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Wed Feb 23 14:41:36 EST 2005

Hello,

As a long time Rev/PostgreSQL web apps developer, under both the Linux
and OSX platforms, just a word to say that when i choosed PG against
other ACID-DB possible choices (Firebird, SAPDB, OpenBase,...), the
difference went in about the very good documentation (books, web
sites,...) i found to start with Postgres 6.xx. Years later, i'm still
very confident about its power and stability. I just hav'nt any krach,
over the years, since i use it. If i'm still dumping all the production
state db, dayly by security, i did never have to restore only one of
them (development state sad db stop tests not included).

PG 7.xx and 8 are probably not so far to be to SQL what Rev is to
XTalk, even if in about db, Sybase ASE 12.5 could be an interesting
choice too, indeed its licensing cost !

Best,

Le 23 févr. 05, à 19:32, Frank D. Engel, Jr. a écrit :

> You probably would do best to use an ODBC driver for Firebird, if you
> are certain you want to use Firebird.
>
> Meanwhile, you might consider PostgreSQL instead.  The new version has
> a native Windows build (for the first time), and it has a very long
> history with even very large databases under UNIX systems.  It is
> available for more platforms than Firebird, and also offers a very
> nice, professional feature set.  A Windows-based binary installer is
> available.  Oh, and it's also free.  I've been using it quite happily
> in combination with Rev, and I know others on the list have as well.
>
> www.postgresql.org
>

> On Feb 23, 2005, at 1:04 PM, Lynch, Jonathan wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I need to learn to use a database with some of my Rev apps. After much
>> reading about the different options, I think I would like to use
>> Firebird.
>>
>> 1) It is free
>> 2) People say it works great
>> 3) People say it works great on windows
>> 4) It doesn't require that I do any C compiling to make it work.
>>
>> I am trying to figure out the best way to use Firebird from
>> Revolution,
>> and am wondering if anyone else here does it?
>>
>> Should I open up ISQL from within Rev, and use write to process
>> commands
>> to control ISQL to send and receive data from Firebird?
>>
>> Is there a driver native to Rev that will work with Firebird?
>>
>> Am I missing something really obvious because I know diddlysquat about
>> databases and database drivers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jonathan

> - -----------------------------------------------------------
> Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <fde101 at fjrhome.net>
>
> $ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
> $ true | cat /usr/manual | grep "John 3:16"
> John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten
> Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have
> everlasting life.
> $

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

psahores+ at +easynet.fr
sc+ at +sahores-conseil.com

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:      +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:      +33 1 64 45 05 33

<http://www.sahores-conseil.com/>

SIRET : 348 855 784 00024. APE : 741G. TVA : en cours.

WEB/EAI services & ACID DB over IP
"Mutualiser les deltas de productivité"