New Bugzilla report Bug 2631

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Feb 23 13:54:34 EST 2005

Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:
> File associations are irrelevant for drag 'n drop of document/file icons
> on an app's icon.  That much is true for most operating systems.

I don't understand.  This is what I need to do to get a document to be
droppable onto an app:

OS X: I need to add entries to the CFBundleDocumentTypes
       section of the info.plist file, noting the file's
       extension and type code.
<http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/LaunchServicesConcepts/LSCConcepts/chapter_2_section_4.html>

Win:  I need to add an entry to the registry identifying
       a given file extension with a given app.
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fileassoc.asp>

Linux: Sadly varies unnecessarily between window managers,
        but most require a MIME entry into a database.

By what other mechanisms can one associate a file type with an
application that can open it?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation