Enter key on laptops

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Mon Feb 21 21:43:46 EST 2005

On 2/21/05 6:08 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:

> J. Landman Gay wrote:
>
>> Apparently on Windows laptops there is only one Enter key, and it does
>> not send a carriage return. How do those of you with this problem use
>> the script editor? Is there a way to change the key bindings?
>>
> I have to ask - why do I want an Enter key  in the script editor ?

It looks like by now you've found out. ;) It's a handy thing.

The reason I'm asking about this is because I've received two different
reports in the support database saying that the script editor is broken.
These were widely spaced apart in time, and it wasn't until the second
report that I figured out the person was on a machine without a second
Enter key. They asked me what I meant when I said "return key".

The most recent report said that he could not enter a return into the
script editor. He could insert control structures via the supplied menu
items, but whenever he tried to start a new line the script would apply
his changes and the cursor disappeared. That was when the light came on
for me. I have never had a keyboard -- Windows or Mac -- that didn't
have both keys so it took me a while.

So, I wondered why his keyboard acted like that and how come his is
different from all of you Windows laptop people who aren't writing into
support. I didn't know about the Fn key combo. I've made a note for the
next time it happens.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com