noob questions

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Mon Feb 21 19:15:17 EST 2005

On Feb 21, 2005, at 5:47 PM, kee nethery wrote:

> 1. I cannot work on a stack on the machine that it is being run on
> unless I want to buy a copy of Rev for each machine that I run the
> stacks on. That makes troubleshooting and minor enhancements not as
> easy as they are under Hypercard. Instead of modifying the stack on
> the machine that is set up to run the stack, I have to modify the Rev
> stack on my development system and then move it over to the machine
> that is going to run it to do my testing. Rinse and repeat. That
> bouncing back and forth between machines slows the development cycle
> for me.

This is not a shortcoming of Rev, it is actually quite common.  For
HyperCard to allow this kind of development work may seem nice, but
realistically, you also need a license for HyperCard to run on each
machine in order to handle this legally (unless someone knows something
I don't?), just as you need for Rev, so really there is no difference
here.  Also, some of us don't want our end-users to have access to our
source code.

> 3. I'm still not that clear on how the sub-stack thing works,
> especially when the sub-stacks have sub-stacks. I'm also not that
> clear on storing data in stacks and how to attach a data stack to a
> standalone and then to have the standalone create the data stack if it
> does not exist and then to populate the data stack. Storing data into
> a Hypercard stack was conceptually very simple and in Rev it is not as
> simple (at least to me).

Substacks are additional stacks stored in the same file as the main
stack.  The stack of the mainstack is added to the message path of the
substacks.  Substacks cannot have substacks of their own: only
mainstacks can have substacks.

If you don't need substacks and are confused by them, then just don't
use them.  Basically though, using substacks allows you to store
multiple stacks in a single file, each of which may open as an
additional window.  It's a simplified way to handle dialog boxes, etc.
without the need for extra files in your project.

> Do not get the impression that I think you should avoid Rev, not the
> case. I like it a lot and I plan to keep using Rev for new internal
> use projects instead of Hypercard. But there are aspects of Hypercard
> that I miss.

There always will be, for some, but stick with it and you may find that
there are just as many things to like in Rev which HyperCard can't even
come close to.

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$