copy field to stack of unknown name

Bob Hartley rev at armbase.com
Sat Feb 12 11:09:05 EST 2005

At 15:31 12/02/2005, you wrote:

>Hi Bob,

Hi Klaus

No luck with this. I used the method of Richard Gaskin's employee database
to ask the user for a  filename before starting. I had this working the old
fashioned way but I think the pre-save is more elegant. Anyway I used this
for them to make a new file.....

on doFileNew
   ask file "Name new database file:" with "MyDatabase.abd"
   if it is empty then exit to top
   put it into tFileName
   if char -4 to -1 of tFileName is not ".abd" then put ".abd" after tFileName
   set the itemDelimiter to "/"
   put last item of tFileName into tStackName
   set the visible of stack "Master Database" to false
   clone stack "Master database"
   Err the result
   set the name of stack it to tStackName
   set the title of stack tStackName to (char 1 to -5 of tStackName)
   --set the minWidth of stack tStackName to 500
   --set the minHeight of stack tStackName to 250
   set the fileName of stack tStackName to tFileName
   -- "tFileName" is the full pathname of the file the user named earlier.
   Err the result
   set the visible of stack "Master Database" to true
   put the stackFileType into tSaveStackFileType
   set the stackFileType to "RevoABD_"
   save stack tStackName
   Err the result
   set the stackFileType to tSaveStackFileType
   show stack tStackName
   toplevel stack tStackName
end doFileNew

Now when I use a buton with the script

on mouseUp
   copy field "TextField" of stack "Armbase Database Designer" to card 1 of
stack tFileName
--or use tStackName
end mouseUp

then there is an error
         executing at 4:01:57 PM
Type    Chunk: can't find stack
Object  Add Field
Line    copy field "TextField" of stack "Armbase Database Designer" to card
1 of stack tFileName
Hint    button id 1052 of card id 1002 of stack "Armbase Database Designer"

If I use tStackName I get the same
         executing at 4:03:54 PM
Type    Chunk: can't find stack
Object  Add Field
Line    copy field "TextField" of stack "Armbase Database Designer" to card
1 of stack tStackName
Hint    button id 1052 of card id 1002 of stack "Armbase Database Designer"

But if I use

on mouseUp
   copy field "TextField" of stack "Armbase Database Designer" to card 1 of
stack "MyDatabase.abd"
end mouseUp

It works, however I don't know if the target stack is always going to be
MyDatabase.abd

If I use
tStackName.abd I get the same error

Any help would be great