MP3 without QuickTime on Windows

Ben Rubinstein benr_mc at cogapp.com
Fri Feb 11 11:40:52 EST 2005

xbury.cs at clearstream.com wrote:

> All you need is (with a default mp3 player installed) to
>
> get shell("start" && mymp3filepath)
>
> Why try harder? ;))

Hi Xavier,

Thanks for the suggestion.  That would probably do it for many cases -
unfortunately I want to be able to tell when the sound is finished, and
possibly also to dynamically fade the volume.  So if I can get a player
object working in Rev, that would be optimal.

My current situation is that on one Windows XP machine, without QuickTIme,
this works fine; on another machine, running Windows XP embedded, it does
not (although Media Player 9 is installed on that machine, and working
fine).  I'm trying to track down the critical difference.

  Ben Rubinstein               |  Email: benr_mc at cogapp.com
  Cognitive Applications Ltd   |  Phone: +44 (0)1273-821600
  http://www.cogapp.com        |  Fax  : +44 (0)1273-728866