Check for updates...

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Fri Feb 11 12:05:19 EST 2005

Paul-

PS> Anyone here have a sample stack I could look at that will check for update
PS> programs and if an update is found make a dl link active?

Here's how I deal with this in StacKnowledge: on my web server I have
two files - a zipped copy of the current version of the stack and a
text file called StacKnowledge.txt. On checking for the latest version
I download the text file. The first line of the text file is the
current version number. I compare that with the version stored in a
stack customProperty and if it's greater then I start a download of
the latest version from the server. Otherwise I just display a message
stating that the running version is up to date. Using the text file
approach means that I can put release notes, version history, etc.
inside the file as long as I don't mess with the first line.

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net