Dynamically creating notes that lay "on top" of cards

David Squance dsquance at elkvalley.net
Thu Feb 10 23:04:17 EST 2005

On Feb 10, 2005, at 2:33 PM, Silver, Jason wrote:

> The "Big picture" questions concern how these new notes interact with
> the existing card.  Since there can be several different notes that can
> overlay on the card (albeit one at a time), it seems silly to have all
> these notes pre-created and invisible.  So, the big question is, can we
> just have a note, then simply feed it the title and body when it is
> displayed?

You could enter the title and content of the notes into custom
properties.  These could be set either via the message box, since they
would be static, or in an openstack (or some such) handler, and called
when the user clicked on the activating button.  However, if you only
use one note with varying content from custom properties, you'll need
the switch statement alluded to below either way.  More experienced
revers will likely chime in here.

> Also, since the softkeys change, the behavior has to change for those
> buttons.  The "ButtonPress" message which I previously created was
> handled at the card  (specifically leftSoftkey and rightSoftkey).
> Since
> that one card can either not be displaying a note, or have one of any
> number of notes on top of it, does it seem sensible to create yet
> another switch statement?  The condition would have to check if a note
> is visible.  But the behavior can be different depending on which
> note...maybe I should create the notes, have the behavior encapsulated
> in that note (i.e. the field), and pass the ButtonPress message to the
> note if there's one up?

Best,
Dave