OT: Ping timeout much longer with 10.3.7

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Thu Feb 10 11:07:09 EST 2005

Our testers have discovered that when Revolution does a shell("ping") to a
server that isn't responding, that the timeouts are much different, depending on
which version of Mac OS X one is on.   In Mac OS 10.3.2, we get feedback in a
matter of seconds.   In Mac OS 10.3.7, it takes over 2 minutes to get
feedback.   This happens in the terminal window too, so it's not a Rev issue.   I'm
not into unix enough to know what to look for on Apple's site for a technote on
this.   "ping latency"?   What's interesting is that the same problem exists
for traceroute, even though the docs say that traceroute's wait-period is to
default to 3 seconds.   Any thoughts?