OT: Why does XP choke on the filename - "com1.gif"

xbury.cs at clearstream.com xbury.cs at clearstream.com
Wed Feb 9 09:20:03 EST 2005

Com1 and com2 are reserved names for "communication" ports such as serial
ports or virtual ports...

You can for example test a cd by echoing it through the com port as if it
was a disk...

com3 and 4 might also be taken btw...

cheers
Xavier

On 09.02.2005 15:11:32 use-revolution-bounces wrote:

>Chalk up another Windoze issue!  I just tried this under W2K:
>
>1. Create a folder on the desktop (right-click, new, folder)
>2. Name it "com1" or "com2"
>
>This also complains -- a file with that name already exists!!!   I
>don't see it!  Where?!?!?
>
>;-)
>
>On Feb 9, 2005, at 3:17 AM, Martin Baxter wrote:
>
>> Please excuse the more or less OT question but I thought maybe one of
>> the
>> wise people here might know the reason for this.
>>
>> Yesterday I decided to transfer some old files from mac to PC via USB
>> flash
>> disk.
>> Turned out there was a file in there called "com1.gif" (someone else
>> sent
>> this to me a long time ago)
>> Windows XP refused to copy this to the PC hard disk.
>> It also refused to rename or delete it. Displaying an alert saying
>> "Access
>> denied".
>>
>> The files weren't important so I just gave up.
>> Then I tried to dial up using the modem on COM1. It failed to connect
>> because COM1 was already in use.
>>
>> I cleared COM1 simply by restarting.
>> But I'm puzzled why this should occur. Despite the filename, I don't
>> see
>> why trying to write an image file with this name should apparently
>> result
>> in COM1 being opened. It makes me wonder if there are any other
>> filenames I
>> should avoid.
>>
>> Of course the cause might be something peculiar to my machine, but I
>> wouldn't know what.
>>
>> Martin Baxter

>- -----------------------------------------------------------
>Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <fde101 at fjrhome.net>
>
>$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
>$ true | cat /usr/manual | grep "John 3:16"
>John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten
>Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have
>everlasting life.
>$

Visit us at http://www.clearstream.com
IMPORTANT MESSAGE    Internet communications are not secure and therefore
Clearstream International does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.    The information contained in this e-mail is
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the
addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it,
is prohibited and may be unlawful. Any views expressed in this e-mail are
those of the individual sender, except where the sender specifically states
them to be the views of Clearstream International or of any of its
affiliates or subsidiaries.    END OF DISCLAIMER