MP3 without QuickTime on Windows

Jeffrey Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Mon Feb 7 15:37:47 EST 2005

The main problem with including the quicktime installer is its license
agreement. You must make your application to only work with the version
of qt (or later) at the time you release your product. thus if someone
has an older version of qt installed you must force them to update
their qt to use your application. this is a real problem in some
business and education setups that have locked systems or use older
equipment/systems that works better with older versions. Also if you
are pressing a CD-ROM, if you do any updates to the CD-ROM you must
also update to the latest version of qt installer and also make your
program only work with that version or later (its also unclear if you
just make more discs with no changes if you need update the qt
version).

you also cannot modify the qt installer and if you have an installer
for your own software it must also startup the qt installer. again
pretty invasive. you must also submit a copy of your work to apple for
verification of all this stuff...

I have just started putting 'requires quicktime' on cds instead of the
installer since i hate to force someone to update their quicktime
unless they want to. for folks that are using multimedia cdroms
quicktime is pretty prevalent and its easy to download if its not
there.

i found no work around for playing (and being able to pause and restart
playing) audio files not imported into the stack w/o quicktime or wmp
installed. documentation alludes to being able to play wav files w/o
qt, but that doesn't work.

cheers,

jeff

Jeffrey Reynolds