Thousands of Graphics = Bad Performance

Thomas Gutzmann thomas.gutzmann at gutzmann.com
Mon Feb 7 13:50:18 EST 2005

Hi,

some time ago I discussed with some of you ways to display very "heavy" graphics in Rev at an
acceptable speed.

Well - I failed. I think if I want to do it with Rev, I have to write some sort of plugin.

I tried:

- set the properties of the templateGraphic, so only the positions and lengths of the graphics had
to be changed before actually drawing them
- lock messages and screen, of course
- draw 2000 objects
-> this alone took up to 14 seconds (PB 17" 1 GHz 2 GB), though I tried to save cycles

- then scrolling these objects takes 3 seconds :-(

As another option, I tried to "paint" the polygons. I had to stop that because even a few hundred
polygons took forever.

For this application. I have now returned RB. Not that RB is sufficiently fast with this number of
objects - but I can use very fast drawing routines there and only draw what's scrolled off the
pane.

Exploiting Rev gave me many good ideas which I will now use in the RB project, especially for
simplifying the own class tree. I simply decided to abandon the old library and to "revolutionize"
it :-)

It would be great if one could write plugins to either tool with the other...

Cheers,

Thomas G.