Ultra Beginner Question/Request

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.Ccom
Fri Feb 4 16:09:26 EST 2005

Len,

in answer to question 1:

The 'methodology' is surely different than procedural languages.
Rev, like all modern GUI based products rely on 'events' rather than
the command line (where command ---> return) was the only user event.

to Question 3: The basic concepts of events and hierarchy are left to
tutorials which others will contribute, I'm sure.

In answer to the second question, here's some things I think about
when starting a project in Rev:

The best way to construct (or reconstruct) a program with any tool is
to immediately put yourself in the position of the USER

1. What is the purpose of the app?
2. what is the input data?
3. What is the desired output data?
4. What are the conventions and symbols best recognized by the potential users?
5. What is the best methods for the operator (user) to process input
to output using methods provided in the programming platform?

Since the operator/user is the slowest component of the man-machine
link, it would make sense to put a lot of time into the user
interface to make as easy for the human, in a hurry and possibly
without training, to figure it out. Runtime Revolution allows us to
concentrate on the UI - and gives a toolkit of functions to make the
coding part much easier.

So what many of us x-talkers do is backwards from traditional
programming - we design the user interface first and get right down
to making little parts of the 'idea' work immediately while using the
UI as the actual test bed.

Look at the input and output of your Tcl/Tk routines and see if
there's not a 2 or 3 line equivalent that can be easily written in
Transcript. Also you will find complete packaged functions built in
Rev that will replace thousands of lines of code..just look at the
higher level calls in your legacy code.

You could even name the handlers with names to correspond with the
subroutines in Tcl/Tk. Create and test some of your subroutines that
do the actual mojo of your app, then take a serious look at the user
interface, for which you now have many modules to use that have been
designed to work across platform boundaries.

You'll find that you end up developing the UI and the working code at
the same time, one directly related to the other. The message
hierarchy makes subroutines logical and reusable over and over. You
might find it faster to replace whole sections of the original app in
Transcript rather than trying to fit the old individual routines.

This cross-platform compatibility thing, by the way, has been
promised by many over the years but only REV has achieved GUI
translation to this level.

With the recent addition of the Internet and SQL/Database functions,
I feel there are few things you can't do in Rev. The wave of clever
and useful apps now appearing that were done in Rev are now showing
up.

stephen barncard