adding field to stack with unknown name

Bob Hartley rev at armbase.com
Sat Feb 5 17:05:03 EST 2005

Hi All.

I have a stack with a script that puts a field on another stack. I had this
scripted fine using.
on mouseUp
   copy field "TextField" of stack "Fields" to card 1 of stack
"ExperimentDatabase.abd"
end mouseUp

Then I had a save button that saved ExperimentDatabase.abd and prompted for
another name. Now this is not the way I want to do it for various reasons
(overwriting other students's databases).

I would like the person to be forced to save their database so i followed
the employee database demo example and used a button with this

on mouseUp
   doFileNew
end mouseUp

and this script in the stack. (PS thanks Richard, excellent example)

on doFileNew

   ask file "Name new database file:" with "MyDatabase.abd"
   if it is empty then exit to top
   put it into tFileName
   if char -4 to -1 of tFileName is not ".abd" then put ".abd" after tFileName
   set the itemDelimiter to "/"
   put last item of tFileName into tStackName
   set the visible of stack "Master Database" to false
   clone stack "Master database"
   Err the result
   set the name of stack it to tStackName
   set the title of stack tStackName to (char 1 to -5 of tStackName)
   set the minWidth of stack tStackName to 500
   set the minHeight of stack tStackName to 250
   set the fileName of stack tStackName to tFileName

   Err the result
   set the visible of stack "Master Database" to true
   put the stackFileType into tSaveStackFileType
   set the stackFileType to "RevoEDB_"
   save stack tStackName
   Err the result
   set the stackFileType to tSaveStackFileType
   show stack tStackName
   toplevel stack tStackName
end doFileNew

OK Now the stack has a name that I dont know?????

So how do I use a buton on another stack to insert a field in this stack
with a name something .abd?

Cheers
Bob