Problem! Inaccessible substack

Jerry Balzano gjbalzano at popmail.ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 5 13:56:48 EST 2005

Thanks to Richard, Chipp, and Alex for their responses to my plea for
assistance.

It turned out that Richard's suggested script (below) fixed the problem
just fine — what a life saver!  The feeling was like having a set of
keys sitting on the floor inside a jail cell (behind the bars), and all
you have is a long stick that you can use to poke through the bars and
try to manipulate and move the stuff on the other side until you can
get at it with your hands.

It's true also what Richard said about the "Quit" command, btw, that it
ceased to work as long as I had a stack open with a numerically-named
substack attached to it, and I had to force-quit Revolution until the
problem was fixed.  So I agree heartily that unless & until substacks
with numerical names can be handled properly, there should probably be
some built-in manner of preventing such a name from being attached to a
substack.

What was weird about this happening in the first place was how
commandKeys weren't always working properly if it just so happened that
some field of the property-inspector palette had the focus.  The key
pressed along with the commandKey ended up getting "echoed" in the
field, something I didn't realize the dire implications of until it was
too late.  ("Too late" being the case once I'd closed the (sub)stack
window ... although things were behaving strangely before that, if I
recall.)

Anyway, thanks again — this has been very educational (Silver Lining
Dept), if somewhat harrowing.

- Jerry