Ultra Beginner Question/Request

Dr.John R.Vokey vokey at uleth.ca
Fri Feb 4 20:22:11 EST 2005

Len,
   If you are familiar with Forth, then you are familiar with TILs
(Threaded Interpretative Languages).  Transcript (and X-talks,
generally) are more akin to TILs than more linear languages (C, BASIC,
Fortran), especially as the functions and procedures you write become
immediately parts of the very language (and, indeed, take precedence)
you are writing in (like TILs).  There also is a stack, in a sense,
although it usually consists of pending events to be received by
objects, than values to be used.  There is also a card/stack stack,
using push and pop (although rarely used these days).  Given your
background, then, I suggest more Forth thought and less C, BASIC, and
Fortran.  Expect still to be flummoxed, but the end result really is
worth it: 4GL beats 2GL hands down! (xGL =  x generation language).

--
Dr. John R. Vokey
Department of psychology and Neuroscience