mouseenter message while mousebutton is down?

Lynch, Jonathan BNZ2 at CDC.GOV
Fri Feb 4 12:46:05 EST 2005

Does anyone know of a way to generate a message that happens when the
mouse is over a graphic, and the mousebutton is currently down, and the
mouse is pulling around a partially transparent image while it moves
over the graphics?

Mouseenter does not work when the mousebutton is down, or when there is
an image in the way.

I tried fooling around with dragenter - but whenever I try to set the
dragdata, I get buggy results - the image disappearing, the app freezing
up, things like that.

I was successful with using a global variable that keeps a list of the
top to bottom ranges of each relevant graphic. While dragging the image,
using the mousemove message, it tests to see if the image is inside one
of the appropriate ranges. So far, this works fine, but it requires
updating the global variable every time the group is scrolled. I foresee
a problem with scrolling the group or with testing for inclusion during
mousemove if the group were to contain several hundred graphics that
require testing.

Is there any sort of mouseenter-like message that works while the
mousebutton is down?

Is there any simple way for an object that is covered by a transparent
image to receive a mouse message?

Thanks,

Jonathan