Heather: It's time for a Forum. (And an answer!)

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Thu Dec 15 13:51:18 EST 2005

On Dec 15 2005, at 19:17, Klaus Major wrote:

>> A phpBB (for example) forum set up and administered by RunRev would
>> be a
>> Cadillac compared to the Schwinn bike offered by those alternatives.
>
> there is an english (and finnish :-) forum available for about almost
> 3 years,
> but with extremely low traffic over the last years...
>
> http://www.esashi.org/yabb/YaBB.pl

You are missing a key part in that sentence:
administered by RunRev
Any forum without the direct support from RR is currently cursed to
fail or live a miserable life, unless it can attract users from other
platforms/themes (like www.revolutionboard.de which has other scripting
languages)
In addition even a forum directly supported by RR will have a hard
time, as all the hard timers are mail list... aficionados.
I suspect we would have a higher newbie to pro ratio on a web board
only, with one or two of the listers gone forever. Even though one
might not think this to be a good thing at first, its actually very
beneficial to RR, as that would increase the visibility and marketshare
of rev, at the loss of some tutors, of which RR has many.