Why isn't Rev more popular?

Jerry Saperstein runrev at civildiscovery.com
Mon Dec 5 23:50:55 EST 2005

Sarah:

	Since yours is the most reasonable of the flames posted so far, I'll
reply to you and consolidate a few comments on the others.

	Yes, I have been lurking here for months reading the messages on a
daily basis. Some of the problems I've encountered in my experimentation
with Revolution have indeed been answered here without a need on my part to
ask a question. Yes, I purchased Revolution with a specific purpose in mind
and, yes, you are correct in deducing that Revolution - despite advertising
claims - turned out to be ill-suited for that purpose.

	My most serious complaint about Revolution is the documentation. In
my opinion, it is deplorable and the Shafer book is a bad joke. As a matter
of preference and I think commonsense, I prefer products that are
well-documented. I simply don't have the time to waste in dealing with
products that require a prodigious amount of time to simply learn whether
it's a failure of technique or the product at the base of the problem. A
review of this list demonstrates that such time-wasting discussions are part
and parcel of the Revolution experience.

	Anyone reading this list or using Revolution knows the product has
many bugs or, as I'm sure some of the zealots here would claim,
"undocumented features."

	I've been in the technology industry since the mid-1960s and have
seen many products attract a zealous following who vociferously attacked any
critic of their love. Many of these failed products still have their
adherents years after the product failed its most critical test: acceptance
in the marketplace. Yes, I know: the zealots will immediately trot out their
arguments that Beta truly was superior to VHS;that the Commodore OS was the
best of them; that the Newton still remains unmatched. The counter-argument
is that the market says otherwise. The zealots are quick to inform you that
the marketplace is wrong, just as anyone who voted for candidate X or owns
product Z is "dumb."

	Unremarkably, those who have been the quickest to flame me appear to
be those with pecuniary interest of one sort or another in Revolution,
whether as investors, developers of Revolution based tools or vendors of
third-party products and services. Obviously such people are immediately
threatened by any criticism of the source of some part of their cash flow.

	It is noteworthy that there are so many references to applications
developed with Revolution that are inaccessible to others. I question the
wisdom of a client who would buy an application built with a tool that has a
small following, requires special knowledge to use and may not exist within
the near future. The bottom line is that apparently virtually no broadly
marketed applications have been developed with Revolution.

	If the tool is as good as its enthusiasts claim, why is that?

	As I said earlier, criticism of Revolution is not welcome on this
list. Certain people, unlike you Sarah, can't deal with any criticism
civily, as Chipp Walters, from whom I've purchased a product, has
demonstrated both in his public posting here and in a private e-mail to me.
This kind of resistance, I've found, is usually a good indicator of an
insularity which often leads to the failure of a product.

	I've asked the folks at RunTime to honor their promise of a refund.
The zealots here have convinced me that this yet another product that
started off with promise but will fail of the critical test of marketplace
acceptance.

	And with that, all the true believers may continue with their
flaming --- never being mindful of how their insubstantial ad hominem
strikes those who may wander to this list looking for justification to
purchase Revolution. Zealots never seem to understand how they hurt their
own cause.

Jerry