Installers for Mac / Linux?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Aug 26 16:43:14 EDT 2005

Derek Bump wrote:
> My suggestion would be to follow what is traditional for the platform. A
> setup from for Windows.  A DMG for MacOS X.

Amen, brother.

I love DMGs for many reasons, not the least of which is that it
liberates us from the strange pricing practices of so many installer
vendors:

There are a couple that have a one-time fee for their Windows version,
but require annual per-product fees for their Mac version.

Since these companies started out on the Mac I'm surprised they've
chosen to add to the "Mac tax", but homey don't that game anymore --
it's DMGs all the way for me, and adios to anti-Mac pricing.

With one vendor, moving to DMGs has also helped me stop rewarding dumb
behavior:  they allow you to purchase a new license quickly and
conveniently online, but renewals require downloading a PDF, printing
it, faxing the physical document back to them, and waiting until the
next morning when their staff arrives to process their fax orders.  When
I wrote to ask if renewals could be made as simple as new purchases,
their answer amounted to "Because that's how we do things."
So this is how I do things:  I make DMGs, and they're not my vendor
anymore. :)

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal