Saluting the Menu Maven

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Fri Aug 26 03:42:50 EDT 2005

At 11:11 PM -0500 8/25/2005, Ken Ray wrote:
>BTW: The only addition I'd make to what Jeanne said is that when you want to
>find out what the currently selected menu item is for a menu button, you
>should probably check the 'selectedText' property of the button instead of
>the 'label' property. The reason I say this is that the label of a button
>can be changed (for example, to truncate the selected menu item and add an
>ellipsis to it so it doesn't overlap the width of the button), but the
>selectedText doesn't change. Of course if you're not doing anything that
>changes the label, checking the label is just as good...

You're right, this is an excellent tip (so much I repeat the whole
thing to make sure everyone reads it at least once ;-).

Per Jacque's suggestion, I tried to keep the stuff in the stack to
fairly basic things - for new developers, who've created some objects
and have a basic knowledge of Revolution, but aren't necessarily
experts. (I'm flattered that expert users found something
new/valuable in it!) So there are a lot of tips and tricks that I
didn't include in order to make sure the basic information got
through without overloading people.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com