running player makes other thing slower

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Aug 24 07:29:38 EDT 2005

On Aug 22, 2005, at 4:01 PM, Ban Nguyen wrote:
> That shouldn't cause any playback problems.  Did you try loading a
> still image into the player?  Do you have any code that watches
> monitors the status of the player object while it is playing
> (updating a progress bar)?  Perhaps that is firing too often and
> slowing things down?
> -------------
>
> I have progress bar with this script:
>

> on MouseDown
>   local i, j, l, x
>   put the ClickLoc into l
>   put item 1 of l into x
>   subtract the left of scrollbar "myProgressBar" from x
>   put x / the width of scrollbar "myProgressBar" into x
>   put x * the duration of player "myPlayer" into x
>   set the currentTime of player "myPlayer" to round(x)
> end MouseDown

If this is only being called when you click the mouse button then I
wouldn't think that it would cause a problem.  Are you using the
QuickTime controller to display controls to the user?  It appears
that you have your own progress bar from the code above and it seems
odd that you have a progress bar that isn't being updated by some
code somewhere.  Is "myProgressBar" being used to show playback
status?  If so, how is it being updated?

> BTW, how can I load a still image into a player?

Just set the fileName of the player to the path of a still image.
You can load any media type that QuickTime supports.  By the way, is
your player object using QuickTime or did you set dontUseQT to true?
If you aren't using QT then there may be other issues at play that I
am not aware of.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia