Problem with Set Script in Compiled App

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Wed Aug 24 07:09:08 EDT 2005

Hi Dave,

As Richard Gaskin explained it some weeks ago, this feature was
introduced in MetaCard to avoid some clever persons to built a clone
of Rev with Rev :-)
But you can use some workarounds:
if you don't have to build on the fly the script (you know its
content when coding), just write a handler in the card/stack script
and put a simple call to this handler into your new object script
(less than 10 lines then it will work).
Another way could be to put your code built on the fly into a field
or a custom property (beware of cross-platforms font issues >
MacToIso and IsoToMac) and execute it with the do command.
But don't forget that you can't save a standalone but related files
only...
And... with a well thought architecture, these kinds of problems
should not appear :-)
So, can you tell us why do you need this feature?

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 24 août 05 à 12:49, David Burgun a écrit :

>> On Friday, January 2, 2004, at 03:13 PM, Stewart Lynch wrote:
>>

>>> Why would the "Set the script" command not work in a standalone
>>> application?
>>>

>> (There have been some changes so I might have this a little off.)
>>
>> A standalone has limits in the number of lines that can be
>> compiled. Try designing the script so it is less than 10 lines.
>> (Or about.)
>>
>> Dar Scott
>>

> Why is this? Is there a way around it? It seems really weird that
> you can't add a script dynamically this is more that 10 lines line!
>
> Thanks a lot
> Dave

So Smart Software

Phone        33 (0)1 43 31 77 62