ODBC and File Maker Pro 7

Daniel Wenger DanielWenger at worldnet.att.net
Thu Aug 18 21:59:35 EDT 2005

I am testing File Maker Pro for a month free. I am testing Revolution
2.6 free for a month.

  I am trying to do a revOpenDatabase("ODBC","",CWData)

where the FMP7 database in on my local machine. In "User DSN" of ODBC
Administrator I have CWData in the Name and "File Maker Pro" in the
Driver.

In Drivers of ODBC Admin. I have File Maker Pro in the Driver and
/Users/dlw/Library/ODBC/SequeLink.bundle/Contents/MacOS/ivslk18.dylib
in the Driver File.

I have three items in /Users/dlw/Library/ODBC namely
SequeLink.bundle
odbc.ini
odbcinst.ini

Permissions for /Users/dlw/Library/ODBC and all included files are
set to Read Write for everyone.

SequeLink came from the download fm_7_osx_xdbc_7.0.5.317.sit from the
File Maker site.

When I execute revOpenDatabase("ODBC","",CWData) I get

>          executing at 6:36:22 PM
> Type    Function: error in function handler
> Object    Try
> Line    put revOpenDatabase("ODBC","",CWData) into theDB
> Hint    revOpenDatabase

I have tried various other combinations of arguments to
revOpenDatabase suggested by the help information but without success.

What puzzles me is where the actual FMP database name is entered. I
have tried it as a string in the third position but without success.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can get this to work I
will be very happy and I will buy both products.

I was successful in converting my HyperCard stack and getting it to
access FMP via AppleScript but I want to develope a cross platform
product.

Daniel Wenger