help on design

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Aug 17 23:05:16 EDT 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:
> The tutorial app that I hope I'm finishing up includes a "reference"
> substack that the user is likely to keep onscreen beside the main
> stack. It would be useful to have "forward" and (especially) "back"
> buttons for navigation within that substack. Here's how I thought of
> doing it:
>
> In the stack script, I'd put an openStack handler that initialized a
> couple of globals:
>         put empty into gHistoryList
>         put 0 into gHistoryPointer
> I'd put an openCard handler in each card, I guess:
>         put the name of this card after gHistoryList
>         put return after gHistoryList
>         add 1 to gHistoryPointer
> and I'd copy a Back button onto the card with this mouseUp:
>         if gHistoryPointer > 0 then
>             subtract 1 from gHistoryPointer
>             put line gHistoryPointer of gHistoryList into tDest
>             go to tDest
>         end if
>
> Does this seem like the best approach? Or is there a better method --
> or something built into Rev -- that I'm missing?

Yup:

   go back
   go forth -- or the synonym "go forward"

If you want to exclude particular cards from the visited list, and you
know the user will be going to one of those cards, set the lockrecent
property to true ahead of time. When lockrecent is true, cards are not
added to the history trail.

See the "go" entry in the dictionary for lots of other options too.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com