e: OT: Spotlight on Rev scripts

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Sun Aug 14 09:42:41 EDT 2005

>Message: 19
>Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:13:27 +0100
>From: Mark Waddingham <36degrees at runrev.com>
>Subject: Re: OT: Spotlight on Rev scripts
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>There are were some issues with the OS actually finding the spotlight
>importers that applications export in the early releases of Tiger, and
>indeed, it sounds like there still are!
>
>It could be that the point 'auto-updates' that you have performed (given
>that you are on 10.4.2) have made the system 'forget' about the
>Revolution Spotlight Importer. In order to find out whether this is the
>case, go to the shell and type:
>   mdimport -L
>
>This will dump a list of all known importers - if Revolution is not
>mentioned anywhere in this list then it is probably best to copy the
>importer from within the Revolution application bundle into the global
>'/Library/Spotlight' folder. The Revolution Spotlight importer can be
>found inside Revolution.app in Library/Spotlight - it's called
>'Revolution.mdimporter'.
>
>Of course, the latter step shouldn't be necessary as the system is meant
>to 'automatically' pick them up...
>
>Warmest Regards,
>
>Mark.

Mark,

Thank you for monitoring this list. We need you every now and then
for issues like this.

Shell? What shell? You're talking to a confirmed GUI person. There is
a bit of Hermit Crab in me; I have traded my shell for a retirement
home.

But, to your point. I can't find "Revolution.mdimporter," or
"/Library/Spotlight" folder, at least Spotlight can't. Am I missing
something, and might this be the reason why Spotlight doesn't
recognize Rev stacks?

Jim