[Semi-OT] Interesting article

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Tue Aug 9 16:06:37 EDT 2005

Marielle said,

> Hi Geoff,
>
> Yes, the topic is very hot. Everybody is moving in that direction:

The proof by the absurd! Well done Marielle!

So many choices, so many unsecure issues on the net...

as we know, revolutions (not an intented pun but an interesting meme twister
agent) happen in a flash... we dont know the IDE product time scale because
it is a wavy thing... and xTalk's is incredibly long... With a reputation to
base it's reliability on too...

Yet the low down level languages get the app crust of the planet and the
scripts get the higher-level user interfaces... all over the web...

Where is rev in a web-oriented world? We got the web in our stacks but the
web is still without our stacks... What is wrong with that picture? We fight
revServers against Java death-star adversaries in an over-diluted (if not
pirated) market.

Even comparing Flash to Rev can be humiliating in graphics and speed
terms...

Kevin, i love you for what you do... But not for what you refuse to
aknowledge...

My thoughts are that rev needs a new graphic engine below the new object
model...

OS -> GL -> GUI -> Controls -> anything

If windows' GUI and HIGs are not improved, and like opengl, you refuse to
integrate it, im certain rev will not last another 5 years... We can't be
stuck in 1990's plain color technology forever...

Another cue is leveraging the COM architecture on PCs as you have with the
Mac Toolbox and Co. The bulk of the market is on cheap PCs, thin clients
(read about it's ROIs on enterprise IT prod delivery), and 5% pros using a
real creative machines like the Macs... the problem is we dont see rev on
the web or it doesn't look as good on a pc as it does on the Mac...

Unless you wipe up your own GUI... ahem...

That being said, CPU based apps like Rev are not going away...

The player is a good (but lame) answer to delivering small app
packages to the user but without a windows-document double-click
standard behavior, it's back to square one... without mac and linux
compilers i can't triple my revenue faster to get more features from rev's
newer features...

Rev is a good security shelter... but we still need a web plugin
player cause those wont ever go away... and it's not like we wont
have vir1i on xtalk one day... it's happened before (is rev ready for
another?)...

maybe OT: without a serious MS certified badge, the enterprise world isn't
going to look seriously at Rev... I know, marketing is expensive... But the
big boys need assurance to cover their hinds... Some solutions in enterprise
are not even looked at if they dont cost a minimum of 50000$ per host or per
tera byte handled! in hardware terms, for storage, a "drive" is minimum
10000 EUs a piece for enterprise... do they care for a 999$ license when it
comes to 2000 client's deployment???

You get the idea... the scales are not in favor of Rev for Macs but for
Mac-made Rev stuff for web clients on pc terminals... That's the economy of
IT today. I can't always word it like that but take my word for it... My
academic specialty is IT [industrial] economics...

Feels like OpenDoc time all over again dont it? ;)

And... surprise... it gets smart later...

uh, what?
yes, everything ;)

http://monsieurX.com
Soon sporting S.E.X. for Rev and MC!