Standalone App Question

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Tue Aug 9 13:52:07 EDT 2005

On 8/9/05 9:15 AM, "David Burgun" <dburgun at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

> 1.  How do I setup the externals property in a Standalone App
>
> 2.  I assume I have to do it in Splash.rev, is this correct or do I
> have to do in seperately in each on Stack1.rev, Stack2.rev and
> Stack3.rev

OK. Here's the situation - as I understand it (Trevor, chime in if I'm
offbase here), externals are only available to the stack that they are
attached to, and their substacks. Basically, it follows the message passing
hierarchy, so if you have two stacks in a folder ("Stack 1" and "Stack 2"),
and you attach the externals to Stack 1, when you open Stack 2, it *cannot*
use the externals unless it *also* has the externals attached to it.

However, there is an approach that gets around all of this (suggested to me
by Trevor and it works great): make a stack (I call it "externals"), and
attach all of your external to it. Then, when your first stack loads, load
up the "Externals" stack as a library with "start using". This will not only
allow you to easily activate the externals, but it will also make the
functions in the externals available to all currently open stacks. Now this
"Externals" stack can either be a separate stack file on disk, or it can be
a substack. Either way, when it is put into use with "start using", it will
be available to all currently open stacks.

So suppose you had a folder with Stack1.rev, Stack.rev and Stack3.rev.
Stack1.rev has a substack called "Externals" which you had opened in the
RevIDE and "set the externals of this stack to <listOfExternals>" and then
saved it and quit. In Stack1.rev you have:

  start using "Externals"

>From this point on, the externals are available to all the currently open
stacks.

Hope this helps,