While waiting for XP support....

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Aug 2 01:03:26 EDT 2005

MisterX wrote:
> The simple Win2000 gui works great and it is as simple as it
> gets... Ugly? well maybe but not uglier than NeXTStep where it
> came from...

Win2K came from NeXTStep?

> I just entered a BZ for the missing menu line below the menu
> when you create a menu in windows. It's not just the line,
> but also the buttons placement too.
>
> The problem is that after you've created your stack in xp
> or win2K gui, you have to revisit and change all the controls
> that are too close to each other, they look ok in win2K but not
> in xp, same with tab-buttons across win and osx for example.

What's the BZ#?  I'll vote for it.  I don't mind seeing OS X-specific
additions as long as Apple comes through on their end and co-markets or
does something else to return the favor, but Win-specific things are at
least as critical; in terms of marketshare, about an order of magnitude
more so.

> What then with the gui? GUI Themes are a weak spot imoho in
> rev if this is not respected from within... Open a stack in
> a themed OS and it probably wont grab the GUI patterns or
> sizes... Or will it?

In a chat several weeks ago Kevin mentioned some plans to do cool stuff
with Vista.    That's nifty and all, but won't do a thing for my sales
for more than a year.

I sure would like to see Windows given the respect it deserves in terms
of appearance details....

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal