To Rev or not to Rev

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Sat Apr 30 18:09:35 EDT 2005

I used to feel this way. And I don't code in Java myself, preferring
Python when Rev won't do. But the latest changes to Java and the
brilliant IDEs (e.g., Eclipse) and widget toolkits (e.g.,
Windowbuildedr Pro), have really streamlined the dev process. OTOH,
it's still Java, which is syntactically far too much like C/C++ for my
personal taste.

But when a client needed an app that did stuff nobody I could find
could figure out how to do in Rev without a LOT of coding while there
were dozens of Java libraries available for each of those tasks, I
realized why a lot of people choose Java, Python and other languages
with great third-party (and mostly free) libraries.