Our friend the proxy server

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Fri Apr 29 16:09:43 EDT 2005

Trevor,

Unfortunally, the windows based proxy servers don't works anytime (some
times yes, sometimes no) as expected in the situation you are
describing, even if your server-side forms are well formed, aka
including the needed metatags :

This problem will never occur if the proxy is set in using an unix OS,
mac os x and linux included.

Best,

> I'm interested in hearing what people are doing (if anything) for
> proxy detection on Windows.  Here is the situation I am up against.
>
> I have an app which grabs data from the web on occasion.  Detecting
> and setting proxy settings on Windows is fine if they have manually
> configured IE since the settings show up in the registry.
>
> The big problem occurs when the computers are behind a proxy server
> and the computers are getting their proxy server info automatically
> from the server (from something like a .pac file).  Windows doesn't
> seem to store this info in the registry.
>
> I have a way for users to manually configure their proxy settings but
> in one environment users will be moving to different offices with
> their laptops and proxy settings will change based on their IP subnet.
>  Asking these (very) non-technical folks to configure every time they
> movie creates obvious problems.  Anyone have any insight on how to
> detect proxy settings under any circumstances?
>
> Thanks,
>

> --
> Trevor DeVore
> Blue Mango Multimedia