To MySQL or Not SQL

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Apr 25 14:17:26 EDT 2005

Pierre.....

I think you meant to refer to Trevor's libDB libraries here. Just in
case someone gets confused.

I really agree with you about SQL being the perfect Rev sister ship,
though, and I like the analogy.

One thing I've been thinking about a lot lately in conjunction with a
set of apps I'm doing for my main client, is whether or not to use
altSQlite out the gate for all data storage, skipping over cards and
custom properties altogether (I'm talking about storage of record-type
data here, not things for which cards and props are decidedly correct).
One big advantage of that approach is that if the client's needs change
and suddenly he wants the data on a networked server with a robust
database, I don't have to change my code except for the connect stuff
(typically one line) for it to just work. Since I seem to attract
clients whose needs always change (I think that's why we call them
"clients"), this has a lot of attraction for me. And now that altSQLite
has overcome all the objections I had to Valentina (primarily the
costs), this approach makes more and more sense to me.

Anyone else thinking along these lines?