mouseDown and within

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Sat Apr 23 11:19:51 EDT 2005

Eric,
I tried your script for a while and it will need a bit more work to
work for me. Thank you though.

As far as the 'good ergonomics' , what I am trying to do in Rev works
in our Director project and also works in our pda prototype. You see,
on a PDA you don't have a mouseHover type of operation but instead you
must place a pen on the screen in a mouseDown situation and then move
the pen around in that state. If you stay for a time in one spot then a
popup will show. That is normal behavior for PDAs. I think it would
also be normal for touch screens.

What I am doing is an offset of that concept and actually works quite
well in user interface parameters. We are using a palette of 18 buttons
that when you move the pen around in a penDown (simulated on the Mac as
a mouseDown) that the buttons will highlight so you know you are
actually over that button and if it is what you want then you release
the pen - executing a penUp (simulated as a mouseUp). If it is not what
you want then you move on to either another button or out of our
palette and release the penUp(mouseUp) in another area. We also have a
field in our palette that will display the name of the button when in
the penDown (mouseDown) state within the bonds of our palette and will
clear that text when leaving that button.

In the end due to the operation of PDAs this behavior is intuitive and
expected and we just take it a step further by giving feedback while
the user is in our palette.

Currently the problem I have with my scripts and the one you offer is
that I can't find a way to not allow the mouseDown to send messages to
the original control when I have moved on to another control. Your
solution does send a message to the control we have moved over BUT it
also sends a message back to the original control as well. It seems Rev
wants to stick to this in at least five different messages including
the mouseMove message IF the mouseDown was pressed and is still down.

Thanks again

Tom