Better than tables, better than delimited lines?

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Apr 22 06:17:25 EDT 2005

Thomas McGrath III wrote:
> Richard,
>
> My first successful project doing the 3 criteria evaluation was in
> SuperCard over seven years ago. Once I figured out 'a method' for the
> eval part then I needed to store temporary lists of the evaluated lines
> and do a lot of reseting of button/images based on the new lists.
> Clicking one button would start the eval based upon what button it was
> and the system would need to see that button as mykey1 in slot item 1
> across multiple lines, then a second button click would only search
> those found lines and produce a list based on those two criteria and
> then a third button would do the same to produce a final list matching
> all three in a 'live' sort of way as the user was pressing buttons. Then
> if the user decided they wanted to back out of a sequence to the second
> or first button I would keep the temp lists around for that. Oh yeah and
> each button has three states (available to press, unavailable to press,
> and a while being pressed state- mouseDown) which are driven by the info
> in the database. The old system used 128 buttons but this new one is
> only using 18 buttons so it will be a lot less cumbersome to deal with.

Have you considered using a list for that selection so you don't have to
make so many buttons?

> I knew I could do this, but in SC it became so cumbersome and that
> memory is one part that kept me from attempting it again in Rev for so
> long. But I am ready now since I have a need to do it.  I think the
> memory of taking this on again is what drove me to letting our Director
> guy handle it in the first place. I will post some samples once I start
> that part. The scripts will be all new using Rev's more powerful
> features and the biggest part will be not falling into my old thinking
> which was based on the 'limitations' in SC. Therefore, I am not going
> back and reading 'any' of my old scripts but rather forcing myself to
> start fresh and find new better ways.

The older I get, the more I throw code away.  I used to think code was
important, but much of the time what I've learned since I wrote it is
really more valuable.

Starting from scratch can be very refreshing.  With my products I tend
to use major upgrades as an opportunity for a complete rewrite...

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation