Simple Scoping Question

David Burgun dburgun at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Apr 21 18:47:04 EDT 2005

>The problem with the archives is that
>a) responses here are very fast (in other words, y'all make it easy),
>and the culture is permissive
>b) Honestly, the archive search tools are not as easy to use
>c) Most of the responses are not so complicated as to discourage the
>responders from telling the noobs to RTFA and
>d) The lack of manuals means that most of the issues are from noobs,
>who don't know about the archives, or aren't used to using them before
>asking questions first.

I agree and and not only this, but also for a newbie it isn't always
obvious what terms to seach for. For instance I had a problem that
was to do with not knowing how to handle preOpenStack, openStack and
closeStack. However, the code worked fine until I added a menubar.
Both are areas that:

1)  Crash or make the IDE unuable.
2)  Are not documented in any detail (that I can find).
3)  Take a lot of time to debug.

Given all this, I spent ages trying to figure out what was wrong with
the menubar handling, it was only once I starting asking questions
did I follow the trail and let to the real problem.

Thanks again, I think it would be almost impossible to learn RunRev
in any realistic time-frame without this list.

All the Best
Dave