Profiles or other?

Chris Sheffield revlist at cableone.net
Mon Apr 18 17:33:15 EDT 2005

I'm trying to accomplish something and I'm wondering if using profiles is
going to be my best bet or if there is some other way of accomplishing this.

I'm working on an update to a stack which, when released, will act in such a
way so that certain features will only be available based on license keys
that users will enter.  So basically I've created a custom property that
will get set to true or false once it has been determined if these features
should be enabled or not.  What I would like to do is have certain controls
become visible upon setting that custom property.  So I'm thinking I would
just handle the setProp for that property and then use revSetStackProfile to
essentially "show" all the controls that I want to give access to.
Otherwise, they would remain hidden.  Does that make sense?  Not sure if I'm
explaining this very well.  The only problem is that I've found in the past
that revSetStackProfile can be a bit slow, but I'm not sure if that was
because of something I did wrong or what.  I'm assuming the command scans
through all the controls in the stack and sets them to the profile you
specify (if it exists for that control).  So if the stack is large, it could
take some time.

Anyway, is this the best thing to do, or can someone think of something
else?

Thanks,

Chris Sheffield
Read Naturally
The Fluency Company
www.readnaturally.com

P.S.  Can anyone tell me the difference between revSetStackProfile and
revSetStackFileProfile?  From what I can tell they accomplish the same
thing.