Dan & Chipp Are Traveling

Judy Perry jperryl at ecs.fullerton.edu
Mon Apr 18 02:32:20 EDT 2005

Hmmmm.... "the LARGEST group of developers ever signed up for such a
gathering" and "there weren't THAT many sign-ups!"... together... in not
only the same paragraph, but the same sentence, dealing with the same
group of folks.

I don't know what to think.  And, I'm one of the "weren't THAT many
sign-ups!".

I don't know whether to feel depressed or part of a super-duper,
exclusive, club.

But looking forward to Monterey none-the-less.  At least the wine will be
great.  Or okay anyway (if you're driving Coastal-ish California from the
south, and you like good, hearty red wines, try Paso Robles!  Home of
California's Barbera varietals).

Perhaps the 'problem' if there is one is that the community is smallish
AND widely-dispersed, meaning that any devCon will be sparsely-attended
at best without any aspersions on the greater community at-large?

Maybe it's the culture that is a compensating grace factor.  Not to be
self-congratulatory, but a student on Wednesday asked about getting all of
my sample stacks/handouts and I pointed her to the Tabs thingy on
RevOnline.

She quite frankly was amazed.  Got things a little confused and asked if I
worked for Apple, then for Rev...and then said something to the effect,
'you did this for free for absolute strangers'?

I had to explain that it was a valuable part of the user culture.
Apparently not-so-well-known elsewhere.

Judy