BZ 2138 (was Re: ANN: BreakpointNavigator Plugin release)

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Apr 13 19:03:33 EDT 2005

Jerry Balzano wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2005, at 6:48 AM, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
>> btw - BZ 2138 (can't run apps by double-click) is an Enhancement
>> request - since the docs don't claim it should be possible, I
>> couldn't find any excuse to make it a "bug" rather than an
>> enhancement request; that may be another reason it hasn't been fixed
>> yet.
>
> Given the universality of the double-click-document-lauch-application
> paradigm, I'd say that the reason it's not in the docs is that **it is
> generally assumed to hold true**.  Surely we can think of many
> "obvious" characteristics that wouldn't be "in the docs" but would be
> taken as a bug if they didn't hold true.  So I don't accept the "in
> the docs" as a criterion for bughood.  (This is all the more true
> given the admittedly sketchy nature of the docs; why would there be
> any need e.g. for Dan Shafer to write an eBook on the IDE if the docs
> were in any sense comprehensive?)

I might have taken a different attitude now - but I was very new to
Runrev at the time, and so a bit more tentative. Also, since the
installation had NOT made the file association, there was an implication
that it was not intended to allow that mode of starting.

> While I'm at it, I also object to the "counsel-of-despair" attitude of
> not voting for bugs just because one hasn't reviewed all of bugzilla.

<snip>

> Perhaps I'll be in the minority on this issue too, like I was on Dan
> reporting on "third party" products and plugins (Dan, you never
> addressed the "looking over D Shafer's shoulder" mindset that I would
> think you'd welcome on the part of potential readers; omitting
> third-party products that you use all the time would at best weaken
> this possibility and at worst mislead ... end parenthetical).  But I
> thought I'd try nonetheless, both on this specific bug#2138 and on the
> general "get out the vote" aesthetic.
>
> Not despairing yet,
> Jerry

Sorry, I guess I didn't express it well enough. There is no "despair" in
how I feel about it - I really DO trust RR managers to make reasonable
choices most of the time, and hence didn't feel a need to vote.

Not despairing at all,
Alex.

P.S. but you convinced me I should cast my votes - will start doing that
now.