Physiological data acquisition via USB

Thomas McGrath III 3mcgrath at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 12 12:43:13 EDT 2005

I've seen the Wild Divine project before and it tries (not well) to
allow a biofeedback  to control software. It does not seem like this is
what you want. It sounds like you want feed back from instruments along
with a Rev project.
This can be done using a serial device called an I/O and some
instruments. A USB to Serial converter like the Keyspan Highspeed
Serial Adapter (Must be Highspeed)is used to plug in an old serial
versions or use a straight USB like what the Telio uses.
There are a few devices out there. There is the EZIO and the HandyBoard
as well as an old one called MacBrick. There is a real old one called
ADBIO (OS9) and of course there is the Lego controller which offers a
limited I/O and more advanced if you want to hack the Lego modules.

  My research has showed that the most promising one seems to be  the
Telio by MakingThings from http://www.makingthings.com/ . This is a
modular Input and Output system that has both analog and digital inputs
and outputs. The Digital inputs can read a variable voltage or a signal
converted to a variable which is what you would need. The analog ports
are good for simple on/off signals. They offer a few different modules
that can be piggy backed to allow for more devices to be connected. The
Telio sends and receives serial wrapped commands. The site offers
libraries in Flash/Director/C and Real Basic but so far none for Rev.
You would have to wrap your own.

The Rev project would (at points chosen by you) monitor the Telio via
the USB cale and any sensors you have plugged in and report back that
info. You would then store that info with a tag for the slide you are
on and later do some analysis with the data. The hard part is the
wrapping of the serial commands.

HTH

Tom