Playing back remote mp3 files

Jesse Sng jsng at wayoflife.org
Thu Sep 23 01:53:18 EDT 2004

Hi,

I'm just starting to explore Revolution and have used Hypercard and
Supercard extensively for stack and externals development since 1988
through the 90s.

I'm trying to build a standalone browser that will allow the user to
select from a list of mp3 files and then either stream or download
them to his hard drive for local playback.

What I'm trying to figure out now is what do I have to do to get the
QT player to reference a file that's located on a web server? Which
property do I set to specify that? Seems like it is specified during
the open command but my understanding is that it requires a file and
not a URL.

Also if I were to download this in the background as a user option,
do I need to use the libURL functions to bring this down and store it
myself or can I use the load command to cache this instead?

I apologise if the questions are too simple, but as a former
developer on a similar environment, I'm trying to "orientate" myself
as to what Revolution can or cannot do for me.

The reason I'm doing this that I want to have a library of mp3 files
that are available online but are not accessible via the web browser
but through our own custom navigation and standalone app. The idea is
to both simplify the task of navigation and also the task of updating
that information as I'll probably be working on a tool that will
allow someone to easily post that information up.

Jesse Sng