the IDE

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 22 21:54:04 EDT 2004

Erik Hansen wrote:
> --- Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>
> wrote:
>>>... mouseUp was not sent when the
>>>pointer tool was active.
>>
>>I beleive it is sent by the engine with both
>>tool modes, but the IDE
>>traps it for its own purposes and does not pass
>>it to your stacks.
>
> is there a account of what the IDE does & is?

The IDE is the Integrated Development Environment, a generic term for
the Revolution interface.

The Revolution system is comprised of two parts: the engine which gets
bound to your stack files when you make a standaline, and the tools and
menus that make up Rev's interface.  The engine is compiled from C++,
and has no interface of its own.  The development environment is
scripted components (and a few optional externals) which make up all of
the visible elements of Rev.

There's a lot of code in the IDE, so I wouldn't begin to know all of the
things it does. But to get a feel for which messages are intercepted you
can do two things:

- Read the frontScripts and backScripts that are active when
   the IDE is running.

- Use UmbrellaMan to log events for you:
   <http://www.fourthworld.com/rev/downloads.html>

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation