sql server redux

Jay Madren JaysLists at triad.rr.com
Mon Sep 20 15:49:20 EDT 2004

Mark,

I haven't investigated SQL Server snapshot backups before, but a quick look
through the docs and their web site seems to indicate that there's probably
some API or DMO call used to "freeze" the database at the time of the
snapshot.  The MSDN site refers to some VC++ examples, but I couldn't locate
them.  If you could find them, then you should be able to determine how they
are accomplishing it.

I'm curious, why do you want to do a snapshot backup instead of the normal
backup method.  I understand that it's intended for high availability
scenarios and supposed to have minimal impact on the server, but you have to
have the right equipment to pull it off (3 way mirror or something like
that).  Is this what you're working with?

Jay Madren