Inconsistent Behavior of Lists

Frank D. Engel, Jr. fde101 at fjrhome.net
Thu Sep 16 09:50:56 EDT 2004

Hmm... that explains the strange behavior of lines too.

If I set up a field as a list box with records from a database:

put empty into x
revMoveToFirstRecord q

repeat for revNumberOfRecords(q) times
   put revDatabaseColumnNumbered(q, 1) & the lineDelimiter after x
   revMoveToNextRecord q
end repeat

put x into field "List Box"

The list box shows an empty line at the end, which can be selected.
This is as I would expect it to be.  However, when I tried to remove
that empty line before the last "put" statement:

delete the last line of x

The empty line *and* the one before it went away.  I then fixed it by
changing the delete statement to:

delete the last char of x

Which works as I wish it to.  So the list box field looks at that empty
line as being a valid, usable line, but the other commands do not?

Is there a reason why this is also considered consistent?