Way to retrieve creator-type of OS X files?

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Thu Sep 16 06:19:54 EDT 2004

>I've seen lots of documentation on how to SET creator-types in Mac OS X for
>new files that are being downloaded by Revolution, but I'm having trouble
>finding the command that will tell you the file/creator code of a
>pre-existing
>file on a Mac OS X hard-drive.  Can anyone tell me what that command  is?
>
>For instance, if I've got a Rev app that uploads a series of jpg, gifs,  psd,
>illustrator files, etc to a server, I'd like to preserve all those  filetypes
>when they get downloaded again with Revolution.  I'd like a means  of
>automating this so I don't have a giant if-then statement of extensions and
>creator-codes.

As far as I know, there is no way to get finder information for a
single file within Rev. You can use the detailed files to get this
for the whole folder but it is really not optimal if one needs such
an info for just a single file in a folder full of hundreds of images.

Also, if you are concerned about retaining file/creator codes, you
could/should retain also other finder info like file labels.
Unfortunately, there is no way to get/set them from within Revolution
as far as I know.

Theoretically, you should be able to use Rinaldi's externals GetFInfo
and SetFInfo. I say theoretically because GetFInfo causes a hard
crash and both Frederic and RunRev folks blame the other (see bug
855). Furthermore, there are no OSX versions of those externals.

IMHO it would be reasonable to support platform-specific features
like these through an external.

Robert Brenstein