Https

Frank Leahy frank at backtalk.com
Fri Sep 10 13:06:55 EDT 2004

On Sep 10, 2004, at 5:00 PM, use-revolution-request at lists.runrev.com
wrote:

> From: Rick Harrison <harrison at all-auctions.com>
> Subject: Re: Https
> To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>

>> Interesting.  Anyone know if getting this error will preclude data
>> being returned from the https connection?  For example, I can imagine
>> having a web server where I didn't bother getting a Verisign (or
>> other) certificate, but I still wanted to get and put data over an
>> https connection.
>>
>> -- Frank
>>

> Frank,
>
> Unfortunately unless you have  certificate from someone such as
> GeoTrust or Verisign or Thawte (Now owned by Verisign)
> I doubt that the connection will work properly.
>
> Good luck anyway!
>
> Rick Harrison

Rick,

I'm pretty sure that's not true -- you can run an https server without
a certificate from Verisign, et al.  And I've definitely gone to
websites where my browser tells me that there is not a valid
certificate and asks "would you like to visit the site anyway?"

Anyway, the reason I piped up is I can imagine running my own https
server (without buying a certificate from Verisign) and having my
application contact that server over https.  *I* know the server is
valid, even though it doesn't have a certificate, and I want my app to
be able to make the connection without RunRev telling me I can't (or
shouldn't, or whatever that error message means).

Can anyone at RunRev confirm whether the SSL functions will make a
connection if a valid certificate doesn't exist?

-- Frank

p.s. I'm cross-posting this to the improve-revolution list...