Why 10 hours for a newbie and 30 days for a "programmer"

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Sep 8 00:59:07 EDT 2004

Judy Perry wrote:
> Still, I think that the educators on this list aught to band up and figure
> out ways to evangelize the product.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

While there has been much talk of abstractions like "the inventive
user", sooner or later with functional goods like software it comes down
to specific tasks, and the question of whether a software will help
address a task better than another solution.  For the design phase of a
product, WHO a customer is is less important than WHAT that customer does.

For all the talk of capturing some of the HyperCard feel-good, even a
cursory critical task analysis would push a vendor toward edu:  in my
experience teaching HyperTalk from 1987 to 1994 I found that while the
tool was indeed used for a very broad range of tasks, the majority of
usages were related to education in one form or another.

If one were inclined to pursue a form of consumer-level scripting tool
(personally I think the most substantial window for that sort of thing
closed a long time ago, but we needn't get into that), it would be risky
to ignore the primary lesson HyperCard offered us all: looking at
specific tasks performed with it we find education stood about above
most, if not all, others.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation